Women in Saudi will have the right to vote and to run as candidates in future local elections. Good news? I couldn’t argue that this is the beginning of the ‘Saudi Spring’, as it seems that the winter there is still too long….
Archive for September, 2011
In China a TV talent show, ’Happy Girl’, was just recently shut down by the government as it allowed viewers to vote for the winner and therefore it promoted democratic values. So interesting!
Being exposed to decision-making procedures, exercising the right to vote and participatory behaviours are likely to make the Chinese people demanding more and more….happiness. So sad -for the government- to be happy in China!
Nouriel Roubini in yesterday’s FT argued that Greece should both default and exit the eurozone.
Martin Wolf today in the same paper states that ‘..once the taboo is broken, the possibility of exit must be examined‘.
Greece is not the only passenger on the Eurozone’s boat…and the boat is sinking. I am not sure if the boat lacks a good captain but certainly something is going wrong with its compass…the orientation system does not seem to have worked so far.
And for those ones who wonder whether China can provide the much needed compass I am just providing Yao Yang‘s words in today’s FT:
As seen from Beijing, the euro is a European affair. And the Europeans will have to correct their own mistakes.
Enjoying London during the last months through:
- Flare Path directed by Trevor Nunn @Royal Haymarket
- Ecstasy by Mike Leigh @Hampstead theatre
- Betrayal by Harold Pinter @Comedy theatre
- Strictly Gershwin @Royal Albert Hall
- Hofesh Shecther-Political Mother @Sadler’s Wells
- Jean-Claue Trichet on ‘Euro, its central bank and economic governance’ @LSE
- Sherry Turkle on ‘Why we expect more from technology and less from each other’ @LSE
- Francis Fukuyama on his book ‘The Origins of Political Order’ @Southbank Centre
- Watteau: The Drawings @Royal Academy of arts
- Eyewitness: Hungarian Photography in the 20th century @Royal Academy of arts
- Glamour of Gods: Hollywood Portraits @National Portrait gallery